Contrast-enhanced voiding urosonography is a type of examination for diagnosing vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) by means of a catheter.
PREPARATION FOR THE EXAMINATION
- the examination is performed only if the child is healthy
- if the child is not on prophylaxis, start using antibiotics one day before the examination and maintain the therapy for 3-5 days
- if the child is on prophylaxis, on the day preceding the examination increase the dosage to double and maintain this dosage for three days
- on the day of the examination the child is allowed to drink and eat normally
- bring urine and urine culture tests performed no more than 10 days preceding the examination, and all medical documentation
Contrast-enhanced voiding urosonography is a radiation-free test.
The examination includes ultrasound examination of the kidneys and bladder, followed by the introduction of a urinary catheter under a local anesthetic. Saline solution and a contrast agent are applied through the catheter.